After the town purchased the Donnelly House in 1971, Supervisor James Guthrie proposed that some space in the building be made available as a permanent home for the Mumford Branch Library. Monroe County Library system Director Harold Hacker and Rosemary Schifferli, Assistant Director, drew up plans for the best use of the space. Scottsville Free library did not have sufficient funds to underwrite the renovation, so it was decided to have a fund drive with the goal of $15,000. The drive was well organized, with door-to-door canvassing and special money-making events. Newspaper coverage and television spots helped considerably. When the new space was ready and the Library was moved in August 1973, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle ran the headline: "6,000 Books Take a Walk". The article explained that 44 children and 16 adults had carried the books from their old home to the new one. In October of that year, the entire community was invited to an open house to view the beautiful new Mumford Library.
The Mumford Branch, as part of Scottsville Free Library, has enjoyed all the services, resources and technology of the Monroe County Library System since 1952.
Source: Scottsville Free Library- A Short History by Catherine V. Boylan
SCOTTSVILLE FREE LIBRARY
Laurie Leo, Director