Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Town and Village Pathfinders -> Hamlin -> Commerce
The abundance of agriculture in Hamlin prompted the need for ready access to commercial markets. Local farmers needed an outlet for selling their goods. That outlet came when the Lake Ontario Branch of the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad, commonly known as the Hojack line, was completed in 1876. The Hojack ran through Hamlin and had three depots in the town: in Walker, Morton and Hamlin Station. Many people initially protested the idea of a railroad passing through their hamlets when the idea was first proposed. However, the benefits of easy shipping access were quickly felt within the town. Small businesses, many connected with the area's agricultural roots, sprang up near the railroad depots and flourished. Also, local produce was commonly used in business transactions. For example, farmers would sometimes pay storeowners in crops, rather than cash.
This sales slip from 1924 shows how a local man purchased a car partly in cash. The rest of his bill was settled by trading in his horse and some fruit from his farm
The Duffy-Mott Company's building in Hamlin. This company produced apple-based products
Aerial view of the Duffy-Mott facilities
| Previous | Next |