Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Town and Village Pathfinders -> East Rochester -> Industry
The Merchants Despatch Transportation Company, which built and repaired railroad cars, and the Foster-Armstrong Company (later known as American Piano Company and then Aeolian American Corporation), which manufactured pianos, both built large factories in East Rochester around the turn of the twentieth century. Many people in the community made their livings in the carshops and piano works of these local industrial giants.
A circa 1898 view of the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company, located along the railroad tracks in East Rochester
Employees of the carshops, circa 1916. At this time approximately 800 men worked in the carshops. The factory closed in 1970
The construction of the piano works in East Rochester, circa 1905
The old piano factory was transformed into modern retail and office space after it closed in 1985. It is known as the Piano Works Mall, shown here in 2002
| Previous | Next |