Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Architecture->Lost Rochester->The New York Central Railroad Station
The New York Central Railroad Station
Designed by renowned architect Claude Fayette Bragdon, the demolition of the third building of the New York Central Railroad station is, arguably, one of the greatest losses to Rochesters architectural scenery and history.
The railroad station construction began in 1913 and opened for business on January 19, 1914. Throughout the station one could find Bragdons passion and knowledge of the type of structure he was designing embedded in the decorations as well as the layout. All the elements of Bragdons interior and exterior designs were absolutely stunning, fusing railroad motifs with functional space. The most obvious example could be seen in the arched central windows, which incorporated a driving wheel theme, influenced by Bragdons studies of railroads and engines prior to this commission.
The exterior was constructed using dark brick and brownstone. The interior boasted vaulted brick ceilings, the lower walls and sides of staircases were tiled. There were also such details as Greuby Tile wainscoting, faience, and Gaustavino vaulting, all in beautiful deep, autumn-toned hues; colors that could withstand the certain smoke and grime that would taint them but not diminish their beauty throughout the years.
|"Its three large
arched windows symbolized the driving wheels of a great locomotive, and other
ornamentation in its brick exterior and tile interior revealed the architects skill
in rendering functional details of railroad technology in the medium of
Rochester History, Volume 29, No. 2, April 1967, p. 10
|Interior of the elaborate main entrance to the New York Central Railroad Station.|
Besides the railroad theme geometrical designs and ornamental details, Bragdon also infused his study of music. He was guided by musical ratios, which he actually used to determine the size and scale of the entire building.
The architect himself favored the New York Central Railroad station as one of his best works and the building is often referred to as his masterpiece.
The decline in rail travel, in favor of the faster, more convenient air travel, forced the station to cease operations. The building was then sold to a private investor who ordered the demolition to begin in 1965 when a suitable use for the structure could not be found. The last section was destroyed in 1978.
Costa, Erville, Rochester History. "Claude F. Bragdon, Architect, Stage Designer, and Mystic," Vol. XXIX, No.4, October 1967.
McKelvey. Blake. Rochester History. "The Changing Face of Rochester," Vol. XXVI, No. 2, April 1964.
McKelvey. Blake. Rochester History. "Rochesters Near Northeast," Vol. XXIV, No. 2, April 1967.
McKelvey. Blake. Rochester History, "Railroads in Rochester History," Vol. XXX, No. 4, October, 1968.
| Previous | Next |
| Rochester Images | Central Library Home | LIBRA Home |
Send comments to Webmaster
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604