Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Architecture -> East Side, West Side -> East Avenue Churches

East Avenue Churches

East Avenue, home to gracious mansions, also was home to beautiful places of worship. Churches continued to bloom along the avenue throughout the 20th century. Christ Episcopal Church and Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church were located in the business district. 

Christ Episcopal Church. Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church.

Left, Christ Episcopal Church built 1892 on the site of the original 1855 church. Right, Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church built 1884, later the home of Bethel Full Gospel Church

 

In the residential area, many more churches were constructed.

Third Presbyterian Church. First Church of Christ Scientist.

  Left, Third Presbyterian Church built 1893. Right, First Church of Christ Scientist, built 1916

St. Paul's Episcopal Church.

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built 1897

In the second half of the 20th century, other churches joined these; some designed in modern architectural styles.

Asbury First Methodist Church.

Asbury First Methodist Church, dedicated 1955

Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation. echurch.jpg (22609 bytes)

  Left, Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation built 1958. Right, Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word, built 1962

Other churches and synagogues converted existing mansions into places of worship.

|Previous| |Next |

Rochester Images | Library Home

Send comments to Webmaster
Copyright 2003
Monroe County (NY) Library System