Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Architecture -> East Side, West Side -> From the Civil War to the Turn of the 20th Century
From the Civil War to the Turn of the 20th Century
In 1861, the University of Rochester decided to relocate from Buffalo Street (later renamed West Main Street) to University Avenue one block north of East Avenue. In addition, the Rochester Theological Seminary also relocated from the West Side to the southeast corner of Alexander Street and East Avenue. This contributed to a flurry of residential development beginning in the 1860's. Side streets such as Prince Street, Strathallen Park and Upton Park also became developed. Additional wealthy families began to move to East Avenue and vicinity.
General views of the University of Rochester campus
Two views of Rochester Theological Seminary
Hiram Sibley, the wealthiest man in Rochester at the time (he was the president of Western Union) moved to a home on the northeast corner of East Avenue and Alexander Street in 1868.
Hiram Sibley residence
Left, grounds of Vick's Nursery Right, Vick Seed House (right).
Below, back cover of Vick's Seed Catalogue, 1873
Hall's racetrack was sold to James Vick, who built his nursery business on the avenue. Gentlemen who had previously raced their horses at the track began to use the avenue instead. Other nurseries were operated by Horace Hooker and William Little.
Vick eventually turned the racetrack into the residential streets now known as Vick Park A and Vick Park B.
|Previous| |Next |
Rochester Images | Library Home
Send comments to Webmaster
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604