Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Architecture -> Adaptive Reuse -> Academy Building
Building Name: Academy Building
|The Academy Building as seen in 1935. The building was being used as the Rochester City School District offices.|
Street Address: 13 South Fitzhugh Street
Present Use (2003): Office Space
Date Built: 1872-1873. Converted to office space in 1980s.
Original Owner: Rochester City School District
Original Use: Constructed in 1872-73, it served as Rochester's first public high school for 30 years.
Subsequent Uses: From 1905 to 1926 it was known as the Municipal Building and housed various city offices before being converted to office space in the early 1980's.
Architect/Builder: Andrew Jackson Warner
The Academy Building served for 30 years as the Rochester Free Academy, Rochesters city high school. Named the Municipal Court and Education Building in 1904, it served as headquarters for the Board of Education until it was renovated for office use in 1981 and the name was changed to the Academy Building.
|The Academy Building was converted to office space in the 1980's|
| Previous | Next |
Rochester Images | Library Home
Send comments to Webmaster
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604