East Avenue Churches
East Avenue, home to gracious mansions, also was home to beautiful places of worship. Churches continued to bloom along the avenue throughout the 20th century. Christ Episcopal Church and Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church were located in the business district.
Left, Christ Episcopal Church built 1892 on the site of the original 1855 church. Right, Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church built 1884, later the home of Bethel Full Gospel Church
In the residential area, many more churches were constructed.
Left, Third Presbyterian Church built 1893. Right, First Church of Christ Scientist, built 1916
St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built 1897
In the second half of the 20th century, other churches joined these; some designed in modern architectural styles.
Asbury First Methodist Church, dedicated 1955
Left, Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation built 1958. Right, Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word, built 1962
Other churches and synagogues converted existing mansions into places of worship.
|Previous| |Next |
Send comments to Webmaster
Copyright Monroe County (NY) Library System