WHAT USED TO BE THERE?

 

What was formerly in the place of the 1963 Wegmans parking lot?

No. 1730
originally was the location for J. F. Clare, a nursery company, but later became a private residence. The property was owned by New York State Railways by 1935.

You can view a LeClare catalogue here: Descriptive catalogue of fruit and ornamental trees, shrubs, plants, etc. etc. LeClare, James F., Rochester, N.Y. :W. W. Morrison, printer,1889.

 

No. 1732 was a residence.

No. 1738 was occupied by Brighton Cleaners & Dyers in 1935 and in the 1940s and 50s by a liquor store run by Rex Stevenson.

No. 1740 was a Hershey's Smoke Shop (1945), but in the 1960s was a Columbia Banking Savings and Loan.

No. 1742 was a private residence from 1905 until the 1950s.

No. 1744 was occupied by Rex Stevenson in 1935, but became the Real Art Beauty Salon in the 1940s and 50s.

No. 1746 was the site of the Tic Toc Grill in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

 

What was formerly at the 1963 Wegmans store site?
 
This address, No. 1750, was the site of Hose Co. No. 19, later called Engine Co. No. 19. The fire station was opened in 1909. While Wegmans was at this location in the 60s and 70s, there are also directory listings for the Daw Drug C., Inc; Sperry & Hutchinson Co. and Daw Rite Aid.

Above, Hose Co. No. 19


 
What was to the east of Wegmans?
 
Above, Wegmans and the former Star Supermarket, taken July, 2011
Nos. 1756-1792 were home to a vast array of homes and commercial facilities throughout the years.

From the 1940s to the 1970s a Staub's dry cleaners store was at No. 1760.

No. 1768 briefly housed I. Teall's catering company.

No. 1770 housed Investors Diversified Services, Inc. in the 1960s and a Wegmans Training School in the 1970s.

From at least the beginning of incorporation in 1905 Dr. William M. Brown lived and practiced at No. 1776. This address was home to a Star Super Market from around 1942 to 1978, and later became a pharmacy.

No. 1778 briefly housed Staub's in the 1980s.

No. 1780 is only briefly listed (in 1905 it housed Harmon Terrill, flour and feed).

No. 1782 was the site of Lyke's Restaurant in the 1950s and 60s. It later became the home of Hauck Bicycle, and in the 1990s was the location for Eastside Gymnastics.

In the 1940s and 50s No. 1784 housed the Winton tavern, later Winton Grill. In the 50s Aero Industries, Inc. and Airco Aircraft Parts operated at this address.

No. 1786 began as a private residence, but later was used by Brighton Cleaners & Dyers (1920s) and Love's Popcorn and Love's Confections in the 40s and 50s.

Beginning in the 1950s, No. 1788 was strictly a clothing shop, starting with Mark's Hat Shop, followed by Suburban Fashions and Jacqueline's Suburban Fashions (1960s through 90s).

No. 1790 housed a variety of beauty salons from the 1950s onward, from Salon de Beaute to La Petite Designs Tony & Friends Beauty Shop and Shigo Hair Salon.

In the teens and twenties, No. 1792 was originally used for coal, feed and hay concerns, but Frank Court turned it into a long-running bicycle shop (run by Frank Hauck in the 70s). In the 80s and 90s it became part of the East Avenue Gift Shop, which also is listed next door at No. 1794 beginning in the 1940s.

In the early years of the 20th century, No. 1794 housed coal and feed companies, but later was used by Albert F. Miller, druggist and, briefly, Hart's Self-Serving Grocery Stores, followed by the aforementioned East Avenue Gift Shop.

No.  1794 is the small building to the left


No. 1796
was the site of DuMond and Van Curan's Hardware Store for many years. In the 1950s East Avenue Hardware took over. In the 80s East Avenue Antiques & Fine Art was located there and in the 1990s Weird Furniture was also at this location.

No. 1796
(Left) DuMond and VanCuranís hardware store. It closed in 1938.
(Right) the same building in 2011.

No. 1798 seems to have been a private residence until at least the mid-90s.
 
Nos. 1800-1802 seems to have been a combination of commercial and residential uses. No.1800 held a confectionary shop in the 20s and 30s, followed by a long run as the LeMay Drug Store. In the 90s Lowenguth Realty had an office there. No. 1802 was always a private residence for several tenants, long known as the Iroquois Apartments.
Above, Former Iroquois Apts.
No. 1804 was also a combination of private residences and stores. Stores included the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., Hart's Food Stores, Albert Margolis' fruit store, followed by Nothnagle Realtors and the Prestige Dining Club.
 
No. 1806 was built for the Central Trust Co.'s Brighton branch in the 1920s.
From the 1970s through at least the 90s it was used by Doyle Detective Bureau.

No. 1812 was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Miller, then Dr. and Mrs. Herbert Sperry. It later housed the LeMay Drug Co., Herman's Pastry Shop, a Fanny Farmer Candy Shop, a couple of dentists, Joey's Barber Shop, Foto Faire, Fountain Bleu Coiffures and Nails at the Top.

No. 1814 housed Brewer and Hartsen grocers, a cola company, a private residence and the Fountain Bleu Coiffures (later moved to 1812).

Nos. 1816 and 1818 seem to have housed various food stores and private residences. Brewer & Hartsen, the Great A & P and Herman's Pastry Shop were here at different times.

No. 1820 held a barber shop in the early years, then there is nothing listed until the 1970s, when a new building housed the Central Trust Co., followed by Mt & T Bank and Harris & Chesworth, attorneys.

Above, former Central Trust Co.; Below Fountain Bleu


No. 1822 was the site of a harness maker shop run by Alfred Batho, later taken over by his widow, Margaret. In the 30s and the 40s it was used by a cleaning establishment, painters and a tailor, before finally being turned into a gas station in the 50s by Charles Stewart.

No. 1828, at the corner of East Avenue and North Winton Rd. (Formerly North Ave.) was anchored by over 100 years by the Caley & Nash company.

"The late Thomas Caley was born in the Isle of Man in 1821,and was the son of a clergyman of the Church of England. He was carefully educated with special attention devoted to bookkeeping, but evinced a strong preference for a mechanical trade, and, consequently, took up blacksmithing. When twenty two years of age he came to Rochester and established a repair shop at Brighton, and acquired some local fame as an expert artificer in metal. He was the founder of the large business now conducted by Caley & Nash." - From Peck, William F., Landmarks of Monroe County, New York, 1895 p. 179.

 

Above, Caley & Nash in the 1940s

 

| Previous |


Send comments to Webmaster
Copyright Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604