Building Name: St. Josephs Church
|Tower, on far left, before renovation.|
Street Address: 108 Franklin Street
Present Use (2003): Park
Heritage Status: National Register of Historic Places, 1975
|St. Joseph's Park within what remains of St. Joseph's Church which burned down in 1974.|
Date Built: built 1843-1846 (dedicated in 1846). Tower rebuilt in 1910.
Original Use: Congregation founded by German immigrants in 1836 but this building not in use until 1846.
Architect/Builder: Original church designed by Jones & Nevins. New tower designed by Joseph H. Oberlies
The church was gutted by fire in 1979. The remains, which consisted of the front exterior, were converted into a park by Landmark Society in 1980.
|A view of the tower at night.|
| Previous| Next |
Send comments to Webmaster
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604