Building Name: Richardsons Canal House
|Before renovations, ca. 1958-1978?|
Street Address: 1474 Marsh Rd. Pittsford, NY 14534
Owner: Vivienne Tellier and Andrew D. Wolfe
Present Use (2003): Richardsons Canal House Inn (www.richardsonscanalhouse.net)
Heritage Status: On National Register of Historic Places
Date built (renovations): ca. 1818. Renovated and restored in 1978.
Original owners and original use: Owned first by John Pardee. Sold to John Hartwell in 1821 then William Bushnell in 1823, then Elias and Gould Richardson. Used as a public house and inn for canal workers, travelers, etc.
Subsequent Uses: remained a public house until the 1930s when it was sold to a nudist group (Group only remained there briefly). Completely abandoned in 1960s. Purchased and renovated by Vivienne Tellier and Andrew D. Wolfe in 1978. Opened as a restaurant in 1979.
Previous Buildings on site: originally a smaller farmhouse owned by John Pardee.
Design and Style: Federal-transitional-Greek Revival
Currently a restaurant, it was completely renovated in 1978 after being abandoned for many years. Original exterior color was brought back. Most of interior trim and exterior are original.
| Previous | Next |
Send comments to Webmaster
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604