Mission, Vision, Values
The Rochester Public library is committed to delivering high quality services to all of our customers. Our focus on quality principles has enhanced the creativity of staff and enabled us to deliver our services more efficiently and effectively.
The library's Quality movement is guided by a Quality Council, which represents a creative partnership between staff and management. I invite you to explore this web site to learn about the Quality Council and our quality movement, which has been both exciting and challenging.
of the Rochester Public Library
The Rochester Public Library is recognized as an indispensable educational resource and community asset and one of the best libraries in the nation.
Our valued and culturally diverse staff provides convenient and reliable services and dynamic collections that anticipate the needs of our community. Our attractive and inviting facilities enable us to meet the specific library service needs of neighborhoods.
We play a leadership role in facilitating independent learning in order to help people lead more productive and fulfilling lives.
The Rochester Public Library enriches the quality of life in Rochester and Monroe County by providing educational, recreational, aesthetic, and informational materials, services and programs to help people follow their own lines of inquiry and enlightenment.
Through a partnership of public and private resources, the Library assists the City and County in meeting the needs of the community by operating the central and branch libraries, conducting outreach programs and providing services to member libraries of the Monroe County Library System.
In all its endeavors, the Library maintains and promotes the principles of intellectual freedom and equality of access.
• We appreciate and welcome the diversity of our customers and treat each one fairly and respectfully.
• We will do everything that we can to understand and meet the needs of all of our customers and help each other to do so.
• We respect and trust our co-workers and respond to each other with openness, integrity, sensitivity, honesty and urgency.
• We thrive on an enthusiastic and optimistic attitude.
• We take pride in our own work and in all that we accomplish together as the Rochester Public Library.
• Current users of library products, services and facilities
• Special populations
• Funding bodies
• Other libraries
Our Key Goals
• Be viewed as an indispensable educational resource and community asset
• Be recognized as one of the best libraries in the nation
• Value our innovative and culturally diverse staff
• Provide convenient and reliable services and dynamic collections
• Anticipate the needs of the community
• Have attractive and inviting facilities meeting specific service needs of neighborhoods
• Play a leadership role in facilitating independent learning
• Utilize the most efficient work processes
Be viewed as an indispensable educational resource and community asset
• Develop a reputation for expertise so that people will think of and come to the library first.
• Have key managers become "known" and expand participation in collaborative efforts so more staff can be involved.
• Become involved in every relevant aspect of City, County and neighborhood planning.
• Involve others (City, County) in library planning efforts.
Be recognized as one of best libraries in the nation
Value our innovative, dynamic and culturally diverse staff
Provide convenient and reliable services
Provide dynamic collections
Anticipate the needs of our community
Provide attractive and inviting facilities that meet specific needs of neighborhoods
Play leadership role in independent learning
Utilize the most efficient work processes
Central Library of Rochester and Monroe